Startup Factories is a guide to accelerator programmes in the European Union. It grew from a NESTA research project which looked at the rise of such programmes in the United States and Europe and found that there was a need for better information for founders about what programmes were available in Europe and how to apply for them.
The accelerator programme model comprises five main features. The combination of these sets it apart from other approaches to investment or business incubation:
• An application process that is open to all, yet highly competitive.
• Provision of pre-seed investment, usually in exchange for equity.
• A focus on small teams not individual founders.
• Time-limited support comprising programmed events and intensive mentoring.
• Cohorts or ‘classes’ of startups rather than individual companies.
The site includes details of all the programmes we know of in Europe. For founders with a European passport this usually means there is no limitation on applying to any of these programmes. We don't include full details of schemes that don't fit the definition above but we do maintain a list of other support for startups.
For programmes in the rest of the world you might like to see Jed Christiansen's list of Seed Accelerators and their companies, which lists all programmes but with a focus on the US.
If we've missed a programme that you're connected with in Europe, please get in touch.